Thursday, August 27, 2015

Shoulder - getting it taken care of

So I've been doing "PT" for probably 5 months now.  I say "PT" because I haven't been very good at doing my homework.  I haven't been very good at taking care of my body most of the year.  So PT was no different.
Regardless, I've made some really good progress somehow, perhaps it's that I'm relatively strong and adding in some strength moves has really helped out.  It's been 1 year since I dislocated it last summer doing the "
Low Ropes" course at Camp Augusta.  That hurt.  And it hurt for a long time.  After the pain subsided and my shoulder was left weak.  I decided to take action and get the issue looked at.  MRIs completed and excellent surgeons to review, I was diagnosed with a torn labrum, loose capsule, and some small bits of cartilage were floating around my shoulder capsule.  These bits were the result of rubbing cartilage which was the beginning of arthritis in my shoulder.  It would only get worse as I aged.  The doctors opinion, especially since I'm so young (did you read my chart?) I should address these issues to avoid further decline of the health of my shoulder.  In reading about these issues, like the arthritis, I was starting to have symptoms, grinding, limited motion in my arm, instability in my shoulder (can't reach under the bed or sleeping in the wrong position can put my shoulder at risk of dislocating, or just reaching for something the wrong way) and it seems to make sense to address it now, especially while I'm young :-), we've met our deductible and it just seemed like the right thing to do.  I would like to stay healthy into my old age and continue to be strong.  I see people in their 60's or 70's doing things I would never have imagined older people can do, so it's possible but you have to keep it up.   Even though my shoulder has strengthened a lot and I've increased my range of motion, I still want to do the preventative maintenance now.

So now my small side project of shoulder surgery is beginning.  Well, let's say, I'm highly considering.  Wait, didn't i just say I wanted to do this?  Well today at my PT appt, I found out that going to Mexico 7 weeks post-op isn't going to be that fun.  No swimming except wading in the pool.  No boogie boarding, although I never did much boogie boarding in Mexico, that's more a Hawaii/CA thing.  just taking it easy.  Hmmm.  Will I take away from the vacation?  So I think we'll still go on vacation, but there is slight possibility that things will change.

Bob says the first week will feel like the flu.  Not fun.  2nd week, not as bad but still recovering from the flu type feeling.  He suggests taking more than a week off and allowing for abbreviated days to allow for 1 hour of PT every day and a slow pace of lifestyle so as not to exert yourself.  That seems very fair to me!  Week 3 things should be in better shape and PT begins.  Wait, so the hour of PT will happen before my first post surgery PT appt?  hmmm, i'm confused.  Will have to ask him of that.  In the meantime, I need to schedule appts for PT in October.





No comments:

Post a Comment